Graves' Disease Treatment in Woodstock, GA
Graves' disease is an immune disorder that causes your thyroid gland to secrete too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism). Your thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the center of your throat behind the Adam's apple. There are many other reasons why your thyroid may be overactive, but Graves' is the only cause triggered by the immune system.
Learn more about Graves' disease today: Call (770) 674-6311 or contact Dr. Gail Ravello online.
Graves' Disease Symptoms
The thyroid hormones control many of your body's normal functions including metabolism, heart rate, and hormone production. An overactive thyroid may lead to the following symptoms:
- Heat intolerance (increased sweating and warm skin)
- Weight loss
- Bulging eyes
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
- Thick, red skin on the top of your feet
Graves' Disease Causes
Ask most traditional healthcare providers and they will tell you that the specific autoimmune triggers for Graves' disease aren't completely understood. They don't know what makes the body begin to fight against itself, secreting antibodies that override the system's natural, normal thyroid production.
Functional medicine providers look beyond symptoms as they search for a biologic, genetic or environmental root cause of illness.
Graves' Disease Treatment
Traditional treatment options for Graves' Disease include medication, radiation, ablation, or surgery. In some cases, the thyroid is removed completely and the patients must take medication for the rest of their lives.
A Functional medicine provider will likely consider the following influences:
- Gluten intolerance (the protein found in wheat, barley, rye and oats)
- Leaky gut syndrome (an irritation of the intestines allows allergens to enter the blood stream)
- High mercury levels
- Exposure to viruses and the presence of specific viral infections
- Too much iodine in the body
To treat these problems your functional medicine provider won't be prescribing a batch of prescriptions. Instead, they may recommend:
- A gluten free diet
- Healing your leaky gut with proper diet and nutrients
- Test for heavy metals
- Heal viral infections with supplementation
- Support the immune system with proper vitamins and nutrients
Functional medicine isn't for patients looking for a temporary or quick fix. While effective, patients must be willing to make significant lifestyle changes, change their diet and take the required supplements correctly.
To find out more about functional medicine's approach to Graves' disease, call (770) 674-6311 or contact Dr. Gail Ravello online .
Natural Medical Solutions Wellness Center
Address1130 Upper Hembree Rd.
Roswell, GA 30076
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm