Candida Diet Treatment in Wayzata, MN
Candida Overgrowth & Your Health
Candida albicans is a yeast that is found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Under normal circumstances, candida lives in harmony with the host helping to digest food and absorb nutrients; however, if the yeast overgrows, and is out of balance with other gut microbes, it can contribute to negative health effects. This complex medical syndrome, known as candida overgrowth or candidiasis, can cause a wide array of symptoms in many systems throughout the body include the GI, urinary, endocrine, nervous and immune systems.
Candidiasis may occur due to many reasons including a diet high in sugar, yeasts or molds, repeated use of antibiotics, steroids, oral birth control pills, and depleted levels of good bacteria in the intestines.
A diet low in sugar, refined carbohydrates and inflammatory foods can arrest candida growth, restore function to your GI tract and optimize your overall health. To schedule an appointment with a healthcare practitioner in Wayzata who can address your candida overgrowth and recommend a candida diet treatment plan, call (952) 777-8887 or contact Advanced Health and Vitality Center online.
Preparing for the Candida Diet
Prior to beginning an anti-candida diet plan, it is important to slowly begin preparing the body for the detoxification process. A cleansing period of at least 3-4 days can help prepare your liver and gut to begin their restorative processes.
Begin by eliminating all processed foods from the diet. Healthy foods to consume during the cleansing period include fresh dark green salads, lightly steamed and raw vegetables, bone broth or miso soup with vegetables, and lentils, beans and brown rice. Consuming organic food will also help support the detoxification process. Herbal teas such as chamomile, peppermint and pau d’acro can be consumed. Be sure to drink plenty of filtered water throughout the day while avoiding caffeinated beverages.
Your healthcare provider will walk you through the candida diet cleanse process and may have additional steps for you to take prior to beginning the rest of the diet program.
Foods to Avoid during Candida Overgrowth Treatment
The most important part of a candida diet program is to refrain from consuming foods that promote the development of yeast. The primary contributors to yeast overgrowth include sugar, milk and dairy products, foods high in yeasts or mold and food allergies.
The following is a list of foods to avoid while on an anti-candida diet plan:
- Dairy: cow's milk, cheeses, yogurt, and goat’s milk
- Sugar, refined carbohydrates and all sweetened products
- Artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols
- Cashews, peanuts, pistachios
- Deli meat, lunchmeat and processed meats
- Starchy vegetables: potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams
- Dried fruits and fruits juice
- Breads made with yeast
- Corn and high fructose corn syrup
- Sodas and other drinks high in sugar
- Condiments: mayonnaise, soy sauce, vinegar, sweetened ketchup
- Alcoholic beverages
Your healthcare provider may recommend allergy testing or an elimination diet to identify any food allergens or sensitivities you may be experiencing that are contributing to your candida symptoms.
Foods to Eat on Candida Diet
Fortunately, there are plenty of foods which are suitable to eat on a candida diet program which will not contribute to candida flourishing in the body. These healthy and beneficial foods include:
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, brazil nuts, chia seeds, coconut, flaxseed (ground), hazelnuts, hemp seeds, macadamias, pecans, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts
- Nut and seed butters: almond, macadamia, pecan, sunflower, tahini
- Fats and oils: avocado, coconut butter, Ghee butter, olive (extra virgin), sesame oils, almond, safflower (high-oleic), sunflower (high-oleic), sesame
- Olives: black, green, Kalamata
- Vegetables: all vegetables that are not on the exclude list
- All herbs and spices
- Fermented foods: kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi
- Broth (organic): bone, meat, vegetable
- Beverages: coconut water, filtered water, seltzer water, decaffeinated or herbal tea, vegetable juice (fresh, raw, cold pressed)
- Condiments: ketchup (sugar-free), lemon/lime juice (fresh), miso, mustard tamari, apple cider vinegar
- Grains (preferably gluten-free): amaranth, buckwheat, millet, oats, quinoa, brown rice
Holistic Candida Treatment
Taking a comprehensive and holistic approach to treating candidiasis is much more effective than simply trying to destroy candida with a pharmaceutical or natural antifungal. Candida can thrive throughout the body if foods such as sugars are continuously consumed. As chronic candida affects multiple systems in the body, incorporating a holistic approach can also help detoxify the body and support the immune system.
Natural, holistic treatment for candida often includes the following recommendations:
- Follow the anti-candida diet plan
- Use natural antifungal agents: garlic, oregano oil, berberine
- Support the immune system with botanicals such as Echinacea and goldenseal
- Eliminate allergenic foods, particularly gluten
- Consume foods high in fiber to promote detoxification and elimination
- Take probiotics to restore gut microflora
- Take a high potency multivitamin and mineral supplement
- Consume filtered water to detoxify the body
- Take milk thistle to enhance liver function
- If necessary, take prescription anti-fungal medication
Treatment for candida overgrowth is crucial for maintaining overall health and can be customized based on each individual's unique needs. Your holistic treatment plan will be created to address your needs, while also targeting your dietary needs and physiological imbalances.
To schedule an appointment with a healthcare practitioner in Wayzata who can discuss candidiasis treatments with you, call (952) 777-8887 or contact Advanced Health and Vitality Center online.
Advanced Health and Vitality Center
Address7201 West 78th Street
Bloomington, MN 55439
8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Tue: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Wed: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Thu: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Fri: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Areas We Service:Eagan, MN, Edina, MN, West Bloomington, MN, Chanhassen, MN, Burnsville, MN, Lakeville, MN, Eden Prairie, MN, Excelsior, MN, Hopkins, MN, Minneapolis, MN, Minnetonka, MN, Wayzata, MN, Saint Paul, MN, Shakopee, MN, Apple Valley, MN, Eagan, MN, Bloomington, MN, Plymouth, MN, Richfield, MN, St Louis Park, MN, Maple Grove, MN, Maplewood, MN, White Bear Lake, MN