Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome Treatment in Vanderbilt - Naples, FL
Be it indoor or outdoor, several environmental toxins thrive in damp, humid environments and contribute to your body's toxic burden. Historically, mold has been associated with water damage in the home (such as from past flooding or broken pipes), and has been feared as an irrefutable cause of illness. Becoming ill, however, should not be assumed to be a condition of entering into the presence of mold alone. That is, it is exposure to toxic environments that breed the potential for illness. Exposure to sufficient levels of biotoxins--a variety of hazardous microorganisms and chemicals such as fungi and bacteria--is what causes illness when your immune system is too compromised to fight and eliminate these troubling toxins. Specifically, mold, a common agent in damp, humid environments, has the potential of becoming toxic and causing a slew of health concerns.
As fungi, molds grow in strands, reproducing by forming spores. These spores are released in the air--up to as many as hundreds of thousands per square foot--and are easily absorbed by the respiratory system with each inhalation. The combination of even a little moisture and poor ventilation can result in toxic mold formation. If the mold to which you become exposed is toxic, a condition known as chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) may begin to take its course.
While mold alone does not necessarily mean you are at an indisputable risk for developing chronic inflammatory response syndrome, signs of mold or other toxins should be reported to an appropriate professional to ensure proper preventive measures are taken. It is equally important to meet a healthcare provider if you find you have been living with mold, to ensure that your health is unscathed and, if not, proper treatment is undertaken. To schedule a consultation with a qualified healthcare provider in Vanderbilt - Naples that can diagnose and treat mold illness, call (239) 261-0074 or contact Insight to Health & Wellness, Inc. online.
How Does Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome Occur?
Chronic inflammatory response syndrome is considered a biotoxin illness. For most people, the body is trained to identify mold toxicity and respond accordingly. In these instances, your immune system recognizes exposure to a "biotoxin" such as mold, identifying it and tagging it in order to appropriately break down and trigger the liver to remove the biotoxin from the blood. However, for some, this process does not occur properly. For these people, emerging research indicates that genetics may play an intricate role in the immune response and the susceptibility to mold and the development of CIRS. For those with mold-susceptible genetics, the adaptive immune response required to recognize invaders and create an antibody to fight them, fails, allowing the biotoxins to remain in the body indefinitely, circulating the body and causing damage.
Symptoms of Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome
Patients suffering as the result of an exposure to mold toxicity or other biotoxin typically present with the following symptoms:
- General feeling of weakness
- Headaches or migraines
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory impairment (such as decreased understanding and retention of new knowledge, searching for words, etc.)
- Light sensitivity
- Unexplained, unusual skin sensitivity
- Joint pain
- Excessive thirst
- Shortness of breath
- Confusion or disorientation
- Appetite swings
- Difficulty regulating body temperature
- Increased urinary frequency
- Sinus congestion
- Persistent cough
- Red eyes or tearing in the eyes
- Night sweats
- Mood swings
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal pain
- Static shocks
- Metallic taste
Diagnosing Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome
If you present with at least 8 of the aforementioned symptoms, it is imperative for you to consult your healthcare provider who can make an accurate diagnosis. Diagnosing CIRS will focus on determining whether the source is in fact a biotoxin(s). Your healthcare provider will take a detailed history to discover possible sources of exposure to one or more known biological agents that can cause chronic inflammatory response syndrome. A physical exam, followed by laboratory tests, will be used to assess your condition. General and specific laboratory tests can confirm your symptoms and rule out related conditions (such as Lyme disease ).
Treatment for Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome
Treatment for CIRS will start by professionally ridding the house of any potential sources of the biotoxin. Treatment may vary depending on exposure. Addressing the common locales of mold colonization (such as the sinuses, gut, bladder, vagina and lungs) is the first priority. Women should be tested for candida overgrowth and, if affected, treated. CIRS treatment may also involve enhancing your detoxification support through various methods, including taking supplements, as well as methylation to support optimal levels of methylcobalamin (B12), methyl-folate, B6, riboflavin and minerals. Additionally, taking anti-fungal herbs and medications may help. Dietary changes which seek to avoid mycotoxin-causing foods (such as corn, wheat and peanuts). These dietary changes can be used preventively, too, in order to reduce your likelihood of developing CIRS. Diets such as the paleo diet , which exclude grains, are particularly useful.
Your healthcare provider can best recommend a treatment plan that can work for your exposure levels. To schedule a consultation with a qualified healthcare provider in Vanderbilt - Naples that can diagnose and treat chronic inflammatory response syndrome, call (239) 261-0074 or contact Insight to Health & Wellness, Inc. online.
Insight to Health & Wellness, Inc.
Address694 8th Street North
Naples, FL 34102