Metabolic Testing in Ridgeland, MS
What is a Metabolic Test?
Metabolic testing - also called a comprehensive metabolic panel or CMP - is a set of blood tests that provides information about your metabolism, or your body's ability to convert and use energy. This energy is responsible for all of your body's functions including breathing, digesting food, circulating blood, eliminating wastes from the body, and much more.
What Does a Metabolic Test Show?
A CMP may be ordered as part of a routine medical exam or physical. It can also be used to monitor or look for conditions including:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
While a CMP provides a general overview of health, abnormal test results are usually followed up with other tests to confirm or rule out a suspected diagnosis.
If diagnosed with a chronic condition such as high blood pressure, metabolic testing can provide ongoing monitoring. Testing can also ensure you are not experiencing side effects from any medications that could affect kidney or liver function.
Metabolic tests are a core component of assessment for many patients.
Schedule a Metabolic Test in Ridgeland
To schedule an appointment with a metabolic testing provider in Ridgeland, call (769) 241-3447 or contact Innovative Health LLC online.
How Metabolic Testing Works
Metabolic testing is conducted with a blood sample. You may have the test completed in your healthcare provider's office, a clinic, or your hospital laboratory. It is recommended that you not eat or drink for 8 hours before the test, but ask your medical staff.
To collect the specimen, a nurse or other lab professional will use a needle to collect a few milliliters of blood in a collection tube and send it for testing. Your healthcare provider may review your medical history and ask about current medications you are taking which could affect the interpretation of your blood test results.
What are the Components of Metabolic Testing?
A metabolic testing panel measures the blood levels of albumin, blood urea nitrogen, calcium, carbon dioxide, chloride, creatinine, glucose, potassium, sodium, total bilirubin and protein, and liver enzymes (alanine aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase, and aspartate aminotransferase). The main health imbalances indicated by each biomarker are include below.
- Glucose, a type of sugar used by the body for energy. Abnormal levels can indicate prediabetes, diabetes, or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) .
- Calcium, a mineral which plays an important role in muscle contraction, transmitting messages through the nerves, and the release of hormones. Elevated or decreased calcium levels may indicate a hormone imbalance or problems with the kidneys, parathyroid, bones, or pancreas.
- Proteins (albumin and total blood protein), which are needed to build and maintain muscles, bones, blood, and tissues. The CMP measures albumin, the major blood protein produced by the liver, as well as the amount of all proteins in the blood. Imbalances in albumin may be reflective of liver of kidney disease. Low levels may indicate a nutritional deficiency.
- Electrolytes (sodium, potassium, carbon dioxide, and chloride), which help regulate the body's fluid levels and its acid-base balance. They also play a role in regulating heart rhythm, muscle contraction, and brain function. Abnormal levels also may occur with heart disease, kidney disease, or dehydration.
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine, which are waste products filtered out of the blood by the kidneys. Elevated levels in the blood may indicate decreased kidney function.
- Alkaline phosphatase (ALP), alanine amino transferase (ALT), aspartate amino transferase (AST), and bilirubin, ALP, ALT, and AST are liver enzymes; bilirubin is produced by the liver. Elevated concentrations may indicate liver dysfunction.
Results can be back in as little as 24-72 hours or may take a week or longer depending on where your test was collected. The results of your metabolic test will be used to determine your next course of testing or treatment. Alternatively, if a diagnosis is already confirmed, you may need to have a series of metabolic tests to monitor the improvement or worsening of a condition.
Ridgeland Metabolic Testing Center
Metabolic testing gives you and your healthcare practitioner a clearer picture of your metabolic function and overall health.
To receive metabolic testing in Ridgeland, call (769) 241-3447 or contact Innovative Health LLC online.
Innovative Health LLC
Address111 Fountains Blvd
Madison, MS 39110
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm