Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements in North Wilkesboro, NC
Essential Fatty Acids
We consume fat daily, both good and bad. Abundant in the modern diet, bad fats include trans and saturated fats, and can lead to unhealthy cholesterol levels among other health concerns. Good, healthy fats are those that contain essential fatty acids (EFAs); they are deemed essential because the body cannot produce them on their own. Instead, EFAs must be consumed through the diet. The two main types of EFAs include linoleic acid (omega-6s) and linolenic acid (omega-3s).
The healthiest diets contain a balanced 1:1 ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. However, with the increased consumption of vegetables, grains and processed foods, most people receive a much higher amount of omega-6s in their diet than omega-3s (as much as a 20:1 ratio). This imbalance of essential fatty acids can lead to many troubling health concerns. Taking a high-quality omega-3 fish oil supplement can help restore this critical balance.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
There are two main types of omega-3 fatty acids found in nature:
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are long-chain omega-3 fatty acids found primarily in fatty, cold water fish and shellfish.
- Alpha linolenic acid (ALA) is a short-chain omega-3 fatty acid found in flaxseed, chia seeds, hemp seeds, avocados and walnuts.
For the body to benefit from these EFAs, ALA must convert to long-chain fatty acids first. However, the body converts ALA slowly and often does not have the proper enzymes to maximize this conversion. The most popular and effective fish oil supplements contain high levels of EPA and DHA to bypass the need to convert ALA in the body.
Omega-3 Fish Oil Benefits
There are multiple reasons why you may choose to include omega-3 fish oil supplements in your diet. A few benefits include helping to support:
- Cardiovascular, immune, musculoskeletal, skin and eye health
- Healthy blood pressure and triglyceride ranges
- Improved memory
- Improved mood balance
- Blood sugar balance
- Sleep quality
- Healthy fetal development in expectant mothers
Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplementation
Not all fish oils are created the same. There are many brands of omega-3 fish oil supplements available, and choosing one that is of the highest quality possible can be difficult and cumbersome. Here are important things to look for in an effective omega-3 supplement:
- Uses wild-caught cold water fish
- Processed to eliminate mercury, pesticides, heavy metals and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) to undetectable levels
Adequate amounts of EPA and DHA versus other omega-3s
- Check the supplement facts box to see the breakdown of omega-3s
- Choose a supplement that adheres to the proper dosing given to you by your healthcare provider
The bioavailability of EPA and DHA
- Check the form of the EPA and DHA; it will either be in the triglyceride or ethyl ester form. The triglyceride form is the natural form found in nature and is better absorbed by the body.
- Sometimes the form is not disclosed on the label, which means further investigation may be required
Uses proper fish oil coating and additional ingredients
- Avoid fish oils that use enteric coating
- Avoid any additives
It's always best to talk to your healthcare provider about the best options for addressing your health issues, and for proper dosage in combination with any medicines, supplements or natural remedies.
Request more information about omega-3 fish oil supplements today. Call (423) 482-8711 or contact AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center online.
AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center
Address1604 Lamons Lane
Johnson City, TN 37604
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm