Night Sweat Treatment in Burbank, CA
Understanding Night Sweats
Night sweats, also known as nocturnal hyperhidrosis, is a condition characterized by excessive sweating during the night that affects approximately 3% of the population. Individuals who suffer from night sweats often wake up with their bedclothes and bedding drenched or sweaty, even when the bedroom is not particularly hot or when they are not covered by heavy blankets or bed sheets. Night sweats can significantly impair one's ability to obtain restorative sleep due to a constant state of discomfort and restlessness.
Night sweats can occur in both men and women, and in most cases are relatively harmless. However, night sweats can be an indication of an underlying medical condition. If night sweats occur on a continuous basis and are unrelated to the climate of your bedroom, it is important to investigate the underlying cause of your excessive sweating in order to rule out a serious health condition.
To schedule a consultation with a healthcare practitioner in Burbank who specializes in night sweat treatment, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
What Causes Night Sweats?
Some of the primary conditions that may contribute to night sweats include:
- Hormone changes in women, particularly during menopause in women over 40 (hot flashes) and in pregnant women
- Hormonal changes in men, particularly low testosterone levels in men over 40
- Idiopathic hyperhidrosis, a condition in which the body sweats excessively without an underlying medical cause.
- Viral and bacterial infections including tuberculosis , endocarditis, osteomyelitis, HIV/AIDS
- Drug or alcohol abuse—particularly heroin
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia )
- Medications such as antidepressants, aspirin, and steroids
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Cancer, often accompanied by unexplained weight loss and fever
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism )
- Anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
How To Stop Nights Sweats
If you experience frequent night sweats, you should consult with a healthcare practitioner to determine the underlying cause. Your treatment plan will focus on addressing this underlying cause of your condition and on remedies to alleviate night sweat discomfort.
Some of the techniques to reduce your night sweat discomfort include:
- Sleeping in a cool and comfortable environment
- Utilizing sleepwear and bedding that is made from non-synthetic and breathable material such as cotton
- Avoiding the use of a heavy comforter
- Applying a clinical strength antiperspirant to areas of the body that are the most sweaty
- Taking a cool shower before going to bed
- Applying a cold, wet compress to forehead at night to help cool down
- Practicing relaxation exercises such as deep breathing and meditation before going to bed
- Maintaining a normal weight
Your healthcare provider may also recommend natural treatments to reduce night sweats, including:
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods, and eating 4-5 hours before going to bed
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Get adequate exercise each day, but avoid exercising late in the evening
- Avoid a high sugar diet and acidic foods (tomatoes, citrus, coffee, and teas)
- Avoid saturated and hydrogenated fats, such as red meat and margarine
- Test for food allergens ; if present, remove food allergens from diet
- Consume a whole-foods diet that is high in vegetables, particularly dark leafy greens
In certain instances, your healthcare provider may recommend medications known as anticholinergic agents to further combat your night sweats.
If you experience regular night sweats which are interfering with your sleep or night sweats accompanied by other worrisome symptoms like pain, diarrhea or weight loss, it is important to seek medical guidance. Contact a healthcare practitioner in Burbank today who can effectively address the root cause of your excessive sweating. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm