Methylation Testing & Treatment in Beverly Hills, CA
In technical terms, methylation is the biochemical process of adding a methyl group—a single carbon and three hydrogen atoms—to a molecule. By doing this, methylation helps to regulate gene expression; dysfunction in the methylation cycle may lead to challenges in immune function, neurotransmitter production, detoxification, glutathione production and many other critical body functions which are imperative to our overall health. In fact, without methylation, our lives simply would not exist.
Many people suffer from a methylation defect in which they may experience a breakdown in the methylation cycle. This is often caused by an enzyme critical to the methylation process, methyl-tetrahydrofolate (MTHFR), functioning improperly. When there is a breakdown in the methylation cycle, chronic medical conditions can occur. To ensure your health, it is important to find out how well your methylation is working and, if there is an issue with the methylation cycle, to take steps to ensure its restoration.
To schedule a consultation with a healthcare provider in Beverly Hills that specializes in methylation testing and treatment, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Disruption of the Methylation Cycle
A breakdown in the methylation cycle can lead to many chronic health conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic fatigue, osteoporosis, autism, cancer, dementia, depression and autoimmune diseases. While the methylation process is known to degrade with age, this breakdown can occur from a number of other contributing factors, including:
- Lifestyle habits like smoking, a poor diet and increased exposure to environmental toxins
- Digestive disorders like leaky gut syndrome and food sensitivities
- Emotional and physical stress
And just as the causes of a methylation defect vary, so too do the symptoms. Ranging from mood issues like depression and anxiety, to physical manifestations such as hair loss, skin rashes, headaches and high blood pressure, the symptoms of a poorly functioning methylation cycle can greatly impact your everyday life.
If you suspect you have a methylation defect, an integrative healthcare provider can help delve deeper into potential issues affecting your methylation cycle through comprehensive methylation testing. Your healthcare provider may recommend a methylation test such as:
- A DNA methylation test like nutrigenomic testing to identify any genetic variants (single nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs) that may impact methylation or other important biochemical processes
- MTHFR testing to identify a genetic mutation that is impacting folate metabolism
- Testing of other important enzymes to the methylation process including MTR, MTRR, COMT and AHCY
- Testing to check for elevated levels of homocysteine which can impact glutathione production and the overall methylation cycle
Certain methylation tests your healthcare provider recommends may incorporate several of the above mentioned tests into one test. Check with your healthcare provider about their availability.
Fortunately, if you experience issues with your methylation cycle, there are many natural treatments available to support its proper functioning. To maximize your methylation, consider the following treatment options:
- Include more dark, leafy greens
- Incorporate probiotic foods
- Increase consumption of foods with higher B vitamin levels like fish, eggs, asparagus and almonds
- Increase consumption of foods with higher antioxidant levels like colorful fruits and vegetables
- Minimize alcohol, caffeine and sugar consumption
- Eliminate processed foods
- Participate in stress reduction activities like meditation
- Rid the body of toxins through a detoxification program
- Improve sleep habits
- Increase physical activity
- Smoking cessation
- B Complex
- Methyl folate
It is important to discuss these options with your healthcare provider who can make additional recommendations and ensure you take the best quality dietary supplements at the right dosing. Schedule a consultation with an integrative healthcare provider in Beverly Hills that specializes in methylation treatment! Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm